Sunday, 20 April 2014

Waxing Spiritual



Waxing Spiritual


The Christian Easter myths of resurrection and hope celebrated across the world this weekend arrive with the season of spring, a time for nature's cycles to turn again. Regardless of our religious disposition, this time of year can be a powerful time of renewal and fresh thinking.  This 
poem by Canadian poet, Mary Oliver, reminds me of spring. 


Next Time

Next time what I'd do is look at
the earth before saying anything. I'd stop
just before going into a house
and be an emperor for a minute
and listen better to the wind
    or to the air being still.

When anyone talked to me, whether
blame or praise or just passing time,
I'd watch the face, how the mouth
has to work, and see any strain, any
sign of what lifted the voice.

And for all, I'd know more - the earth
bracing itself and soaring, the air
finding every leaf and feather over
forest and water, and for every person

the body glowing inside the clothes
    like a light.




Spring, more than any season, seems to me to be an opportunity for next times.


To take stock after winter, and look at how far we've come. 






To start again if a fresh start is what we need.






To love who we love. 






To have a haircut, maybe?






To see things in a new and different light. 






Happy Springtime!



No comments:

Post a Comment